Monday 26 October 2009

Endgame

Thanks for those of you who helped me think through priesthood for Sunday morning. It would be great to have your feedback if you were here on Sunday morning- or if you really want to, you can find a podcast here:

http://www.stopsley.net/Media/Player.aspx?media_id=35832&file_id=38610

I am particulalry interested now in following through on thinking about worship in the light of this discussion on priesthood and in the light of Old Testament teaching about true fasting as serving the poor. Somehow the endgame has to be about more than singing. I am trying hard to work though putting a justice agenda, a world transforming agenda at the centre of church life. I guess to me the incarnation is a big part of my thinking around this. The book Exiles by Michael Frost and Alan Hirsch goes some way to addressing this. What does it mean that Christ is fully God and fully human? What is this tentative balance between humanity- the accessible and everyday and the divine- distintive and transforming?

On a different tack, it has been great to walk to work recently through autumnal leaf storms. This is a beautiful time of year. Funny how much of natural beauty is expressed at times of change. Just a thought...

And finally, for those who are interested and indulgently, hope again from Anfield yesterday. I am very pessimistic when it comes to these games, but it is great to be proven wrong. I always thought Benitez was just being sporting and giving the others a head start. Hoping for the tortoise success in April next year...

Have a good day...

RSVP

2 comments:

  1. John 4:23 (KJV)
    But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

    I think true worship is about losing yourself, and your thoughts of what you want to do and focusing on God. It is then that you are likely to hear what He has to say , so the object of Worship Leaders is not to be the very best musicians but to lead the people into relationship with our Father and then stand back.

    ps - thanks to Liverpool (I don't often say that!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Romans 12:1-2[KJV]
    ... present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

    I think these verses sum it up for me. True worship means presenting God with my body, mind and will for Him to use as He decides. My will, so I allow Him to direct me to do His will; my mind, so I allow Him to transform my thinking to be in line with His ways; and my body, so He can use me in practical ways to perform acts of compassion as He directs.

    Singing is a part of worship, and helps me to focus on Him and allow Him to transform my thinking and understand more of His will. However, true worship is that living sacrifice, 24-7. Everything I think, say and do can be true worship at any time!

    This is such an overwhelming definition that it would be easy to give up before I even start ... however, trying to be positive and having a 'glass half full' perspective on this, I see limitless opportunities to express my true worship to my God: in whatever circumstance I find myself in; with whoever I find myself with; and wherever I am led to go!

    ReplyDelete